- prophetic voice, social entrepreneur, servant among the urban poor, urban missiologist
Viv Grigg, B.E.E., M.A. (Missiology), PhD (Theology) has been a prophetic voice, calling from the slums of Manila, Calcutta, Sao Paulo, Los Angeles... inviting many thousands to live in apostolic communities among the poor. These works are creating a plethora of organizations that transform poverty in over 40 cities. He attributes the fruit of this to the overflowing work of the Holy Spirit on these who choose to live the cross among the poor. As a young graduate, and in quiet dependence on God to provide, Viv Grigg went to live in the slums of Manila, pioneering a church, new theologies and catalysing development
He coordinates the Encarnação Alliance of urban poor movement leaders. Their grassroots city learning networks of slum pastors in the last 3 years have established over 1800 new churches. As an academic, trained in theology, community organization, urban anthropology, and as Director of Urban Leadership Foundation, he catalyzed the MA in Transformational Urban Leadership (MATUL) now with 6 partnering institutions globally. He recently relocated from New Zealand to be an Associate Professor to Azusa Pacific (one of the partners) to lead their MATUL expansion. He is author of 7 books including the paradigm-shifting Companion to the Poor, whose call to radical incarnation among the poor and lifestyles of simplicity has challenged many. His recent Spirit of Christ and the Postmodern City predicts a future beyond postmodernism. Economic Discipleship has answers to the present ethical dilemnas of capitalism.
Some Conference Involvements
- 1989 Laussanne Congress on World Evangelization, Manila. 2 Sessions on “Ministering to the Urban Poor.”
- 1993 VisionNZ Congress plenary on "Reaching the Cities"
- 1995 Global Congress On World Evangelization, Seoul , Korea. Plenary Session. Leader of the AD2000 Cities Network.
- 1996 Mission Korea 96, a gathering of eight student movements, plenary on "The Cry of the Urban Poor" and seminars.
- 1996 AD2000 Urban Poor Network, Hong Kong. Leadership team, several seminars, plenary
- 1997 Vision NZ Congress plenary on "Transformation of the Nation."
- Over twenty-five City Leadership Consultations in nations and cities.
- 1997 Korean Students for Christ plenary and seminar
- 1998 Korean Students for Christ plenary address, "The Poor Wise Man" and seminars
- 1998 Asbury Seminary, Kingdom Conference, keynote speaker, "The Cosmic Christ in Cities From Hell" and forums.
- 1996, 1997, 1998 Australian AD2000 National Leadership Consultations as plenary speaker “Jesus Christ in the Underside of Cities from Hell.”
- 1999 Vision for Auckland Huis, organizer, keynote address on "Six Battlefronts in Auckland"
- 2000 Transformational Conversations: Developing Indigenous Theologies hui, Auckland, facilitator.
- 2001 Biola Missions Conference, addresses, "Reaching the Poor of Asia's Mega-Cities", "The Judgment of God on a Postmodern City".
- 2002 Wheaton College Missions Week: Keynote Speaker
- 2002 Encarnação Network, Brazil, organizer
- 2004 Encarnação Network, Bangkok, organizer, “50,000 from the Slums to the Slums”
- 2006 Encarrnação Alliance, Chennai, organizer
- 2008 RENAS (Network for Social Action), Brazil, keynote speaker
- 2009 Sao Paulo, Brazil. "Igreja Relevamente e Incarnacional"
- 2009 Revitalization Consultation, Asbury Seminary, “The Spirit of Christ and the Postmodern City”
Viv Grigg: Some Publications
- 1984 Companion to the Poor, Albatross Books: Sydney.
(2nd edition 1990 MARC: Monrovia, CA, revised and updated, 2004 London: Authentic).tr. in Portuguese 1988 Servos Entre Os Pobres, Comibam/Aura Books: Sao Paulo , Brazil.(revised and updated, 2007, Ultimato)tr. in German 1990 Mit den Armen leben, Wolfgang Simson Verlag: Lorrach. tr. in Spanish 1994 Siervos Entre Los Pobres, Nueva Creacion: Buenos Aires and Eerdmans. tr. in Korean 1995, _________________, IVP: Seoul.
- 1992 Cry of the Urban Poor, MARC (revised and updated, 2004, London: Authentic).
tr. in Portuguese. 1994 O Grito Dos Pobres Na Cidade, Missao Editora: Sao Paulo.
- 2000 Creating an Auckland Business Theology. Urban Leadership Foundation.
- 2009 The Spirit of Christ and the Postmodern City. Auckland: Urban Leadership Foundation and Asbury: Emeth Press.
- 2010 Economic Discipleship. 5th Edn. Auckland: Urban Leadership Foundation.
- 1985 Servants Movements: Protestant Orders with Vows of Non-Destitute Poverty. Urban Leadership Foundation
- 1986 The Lifestyle and Values of Servants, Urban Leadership Foundation. 1998 Vision for Auckland. Urban Leadership Foundation, 32pp.
- 2001 Biblical Reflections on Land and Land Rights. Urban Leadership Foundation. 64 pp.
Some Professional Papers and Articles
- 1987 "Sorry the Frontier Moved!" Urban Missions, 4:4 (March 1987),12-25. tr in Portuguese . "Desculpe! A Fronteira Mudou-Se." Teologico, Sociedade Dos Estudantes de Teologia Evangelica: Sao Paulo
- 1989 "Cities of God - Cities of Men." 3 part series in Challenge Weekly: Auckland , November 1989.
- 1987 "The Urban Poor: Prime Missionary Target." Evangelical Review of Theology, July 1987, pp 261-272. Reprinted 1989 in Urban Ministry in Asia, chap 18 , Asia Theological Association, pp 185-197.
- 1989 " Squatters, The Most Responsive Unreached Bloc." Urban Missions, 6:5 (May 1989), 41-50.
- 1992 "Church of the Poor." In Discipling the City: A Comprehensive Approach to Urban Mission Baker: Grand Rapids, Michigan, 159-170.
- 1993 "Reaching the Cities." In Vision New Zealand Congress, Vision New Zealand, 429 Queen Street , Auckland.
- 1993 "Intercessors and Cosmic Urban Spiritual Warfare." International Journal of Frontier Missions Vol 10:4 Oct 1993. tr into Korean in 1995 by the Korea AD2000 Movement and Beyond by Jubilee Tech International.
- 1995 "Spiritual Warfare and the Poor in the Gateway Cities." In Praying Through the 100 Gateway Cities, C. Peter Wagner, Mark Peters, eds. YWAM Publishing: Seattle. tr. into Korean by the Korea AD2000 Movement and Beyond by Jubilee Tech International. tr. into Portuguese "La Guerra Espiritual y los Pobres en las Ciudades de Acesso". In Orando por Las 100 Ciudades de Accesso a la Ventana 10/40, C Peter Wagner, Stephen Peters y Mark Wilson, eds. Editorial Unilit.
- 1997 "Transforming the Soul of Kiwi Cities." In New Vision New Zealand Vol 11(1997) , Bruce Patrick, ed., Auckland: Vision New Zealand.
- 1997 "Transforming the Soul of the Nation." In New Vision New Zealand Vol III , Bruce Patrick, ed., Auckland: Vision New Zealand.
Some Popular Articles
- 1979-80 "Discipleship", "Discipleship and Self", "Discipleship and Possessions." Reach Communique, Manila: Reach, Vol 1:2, 2:1, 2:3
- 1984 "The Poor Wise Man and ytrevoP the Demon." The Reaper: pp 16-19. Bible College of New Zealand: Auckland. August 1984. Reprinted in World Mission Guide, World Christian Magazine: Los Angeles, pp 9-11, 1988
- 1987 "The Poor Wise Man of Calcutta." Urban Missions, 5:2 (Nov 1987): 43-44
- Korean Translations of articles in Gospel and Context, 1995:8, pp 76-81, 9:112-117, 1996, 1997
- 1988 "Of Barefoot Dentists... and Rich Young Rulers." Urban Missions, May 1988
- 1992 "AD2000 Cities Track Partnering Missions to Reach Cities." in AD2000 Cities Track News, Vol 1:1.
- 1992 "A Crucial Hour for the 1000 Least Evangelized Cities" , In Cities and Slums News, Vol 1:2, June 92
- 2000 Urban Theology as Transformational Conversation: Hermeneutics for the Post-Modern Cities, Auckland: Urban Leadership Foundation.
*NEW* Whiteboard explainer video
"Developing a Poor Peoples Church"
"The Poor Wise Man"